Michael Conforto has not ruled out signing with a team this season, agent Scott Boras told the New York Post.
The former Mets outfielder and free agent may sign with a team after the 2022 MLB Draft in July, despite previously saying he was going to return to play next season. Conforto, 29, underwent surgery to repair his shoulder after reportedly landing awkwardly during a workout drill over the winter. Boras told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic Conforto was “expected to make a full recovery and return to play in spring training 2023.”
But today Boras told The Post that the one-time all-star is open to signing a contract with a team following the July 17-19 draft. After, the draft-pick compensation tied to him will be removed.
Some organizations have reached out to Boras about Conforto’s availability, and one will try to sign him in late July.
Conforto, who spent seven seasons with the Mets, was drafted by New York in the first round with the 10th overall pick in 2014. He declined the team’s qualifying offer of a one-year, $18.4 million contract, and became a free agent. Over his career, he has a .255 batting average with 396 RBI and 132 home runs. Conforto could help give a team depth needed to make a late playoff push.
(Photo: Wendell Cruz/USA TODAY Sports/Cropped)